Friday, January 11, 2013

SSD or Disk based HDD – What to buy?

I was planning in going for a SSD, but thought of checking if it is actually faster than the standard disk based Hard disks, with some cost limits in mind.   After thorough search and research on net, I came to know that SSDs are only preferred if more read speed is desired.

My current Hard Disk is 7200.11 16mb cache Seagate Hard Disk and following are the speeds I get from it:

My HDD Speed

However, from research,  the came to a conclusion that I might get double read speed from SSD to that of 7200rpms.

So, alternative is to get 32MB cache hard disks or go for 10000RPM hard drives, SSDs are to be developed to be made economical.

if space with speed is a concern then:

For Gain in Read speed use any Raid version 0,1,5,10,01

If Top write speed is must then use Raid 0

For Good write speed and safety etc use Raid 5,10,01

The disk speed measuring software can be downloaded from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment