Monday, January 2, 2012

DHCP Administrator only for Domain :(

For testing the DHCP, I tried to take a n approach to use a none Domain Admin account, I created a user by name “dhcppavan@test.com” where test.com is the forest/domain.  Serv1 is the DC and Serv2 is the DHCP Server and is under the same domain “test.com”.

dhcppavan is the member of Domain DHCP administrators and Domain Users groups as shown below:

Member of

After testing I found that being a DHCP Administrator account I cannot create/modify/delete/authorize/unauthorized any DHCP scope, to do so only a domain admin account can do.  So I have installed and create a scope on Sev2 using the Domain Administrator Account.

I logged in with DHCP administrator on serv2 and opened the DHCP Console or role and I found it looking this way:

DHCP No access

After thorough research I found out that a Domain DHCP Administrator can only work on DHCP that is installed for that specific DC server.

Solution:

Solution was to add the user to the serv2 pc local users and groups DHCP Administrators group as follows:

DHCP Local Administrator

Further reference at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd183659(WS.10).aspx

and http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/thread/c2af800b-1b8b-4d48-a30b-11df740d99af?prof=required

No comments:

Post a Comment